Thursday, January 17, 2013

Maryland: Edgar Allen Poe in Baltimore

Westminster Hall and Burial Ground
519 West Fayette Street
Baltimore, Maryland

This past October, 2012, I attended a conference in Baltimore, Maryland. I had been to Baltimore before on many a day trips. Being so close to Halloween I thought it only appropriate to visit the grave of one of the city's most noteworthy former residents, the author of many mysterious and macabre tales, Edgar Allen Poe.

I want to call him one of Baltimore's beloved native sons but Poe was actually born in Boston. He did, however, live out his final days in Baltimore and wrote some of his most well known stories while residing in Baltimore.

He is probably best known for his works The Raven and The Tell-Tale Heart. My favorite of his poems is his last complete one which was published shortly after his death in 1849; Annabel Lee. This is how it begins...


It was many and many a year ago,
   In a kingdom by the sea,
That a maiden there lived whom you may know
   By the name of ANNABEL LEE;--
And this maiden she lived with no other thought
   Than to love and be loved by me.
She was a child and I was a child,
   In this kingdom by the sea,
But we loved with a love that was more than love--
   I and my Annabel Lee--


His remains are interned at the Westminster Burying Grounds located at the intersection of Fayette and Greene Streets in downtown Baltimore. It was just a two block walk from the conference hotel.

The location does offer tours of the burial grounds and catacombs, however, my travel companion and I just walked around the graveyard ourselves.


Westminster Hall
The grave of Edgar Allen Poe
Westminster Burial Ground is the final resting place of several famous Marylanders including, but not limited to: 

James Calhoun (1743-1816) the first mayor of Baltimore
James McHenry (1753-1816) signer of the Constitution
Philip Barton Key (1818-1859) son of Francis Scott Key who wrote the "Star-Spangled Banner." Philip was not as famous as his dad, I suppose, but he did have a scandalous death; he was shot and killed by his lover's husband.

Interestingly enough, where Poe is currently interned is not where he was originally buried. He was originally buried at the back of the church yard in an unmarked grave near his grandfather, David Poe, Sr.


The narrow walkway between raised tombs leading from Poe's tomb to the back of the churchyard.


Poe's original gravesite.
Edgar died on  October 7, 1849 at the age of 40 under rather mysterious circumstances; he was found delirious on the streets of Baltimore and brought to Washington College Hospital where he died 4 days later having never regained clarity. If you ask me, I believe it was the drink that killed him! He had a simple funeral attended by just a few people on Monday, October 8, 1849.

On October 1, 1875, Poe was re-interned at a location close to the front of the church. His original grave was then marked with the stone above.

Should you get the chance to be in Baltimore, I recommend Westminster Burial Ground. If you happen to take their tour, please drop me a line and give me your review.



2 comments:

  1. Excellent. I never knew Poe was buried there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of his homes is there. I'm not sure if it is open for tours or not anymore. There is also a wonderful Poe themed restaurant there; the Annabell Lee Tavern - - so good. But there is also a Poe House here in NYC. Poe is everywhere, man! :-D

    ReplyDelete