Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Vermont: Ben and Jerry's

Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory
1281 Waterbury-Stowe Rd.
Waterbury, VT

Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield met in 7th grade gym class at Merrick Avenue Junior High School in 1963. It is a well publicized fact but the reason I recall the fact so clearly is because my parents grew up in Merrick, New York too. In fact, both Ben and Jerry graduated from the same junior high and high school as my father; Merrick Avenue Junior High and Calhoun High School, respectively. I think they are both about 2 years younger than my father. 



In any case, if you should find yourself in the beautiful state of Vermont I recommend a visit to the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory in Waterbury, VT. I don't recommend that you go at the height of the summer though; the crowds can get pretty big. Go in the spring if you can.

While there you can take a tour of the factory at the end of which they will provide a sample of the ice cream they are producing that day. Additionally, there is a scoop shop at which you can choose from a multitude of flavors. If you are daring enough you can try the Vermonster; a monster-sized sundae comprised of  20 scoops of ice cream, hot fudge, banana, cookies, brownies, and other topping choices.

There are also some fun hands on crafts and photo opportunities like the one below. Like Cousin Rachel and Cousin Peter, you too can put your face in place of Ben or Jerry's in their famous ice cream container cover.



There is also the Graveyard where some of the great retired flavors have been laid to rest. As a frequent cemetery-goer this is my favorite part. Here the cousins, Meghan, Kelly, Rachel, and Peter, gather around the grave of White Russian.


It is worth the visit!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is old news, however I find this very amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I love traveling but I am much more involved in genealogy. This travel blog never quite took off.

    ReplyDelete